2.09.2011

soup iv: new england clam chowder

Why do they call it new england clam chowder when my clams came from Cedar Key? Maybe I should just rename it.
This soup took longer than we expected because my potatoes wouldn't soften quick enough ('What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?'). So there we sat with our steamed clams waiting, waiting and waiting. Actually it wasn't that bad compared to some of the others we have cooked; re: the caramelization of the onions and leeks for the French Onion Soup.

Other than that the recipe was pretty straight forward. Clam juice and milk make up the base and then add the goodies. I did modify the recipe of the book slightly. after thawing the chunk of salt pork that we had in our freezer, I noticed it had a strange green color to it. Not being Hogwallops, I decided that we should toss it. So we had NECC sans salt pork.

Regardless the chowder turned out delicious, and we got to eat a bunch of those tasty oyster crackers. We even broke out the china so that we could have a white bowl to photograph.

2 comments:

  1. Another good one....tell Michelle the picture looks great! Go right ahead and call it Cedar Key Clam Chowder aka New England Clam Chowder....bet it was good! Keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @becky don't worry, we have already cooked two more, I just have to get the pics ready and I will post them ... also, the guest poster should post one of these days

    ReplyDelete