1.27.2011

soup iii: split pea and bacon

This soup is going to make me rich! I now realize that I will not have to pay for overpriced baby food when Michelle and I have a kid.


Split pea soup ... pretty easy. Cook peas in chicken stock until mush. The soup came out a nice yellowish-green color. I suppose I could have located peas that were greener in color and made it look more akin to the vomit-color that this soup is known for, but really it is just an aesthetic decision. Taste-wise the soup was sweet. I am thinking that the sweetness
of these soups may have more to do with using homemade stock, perhaps the sodium in the store bought stuff just overpowers the sweetness. The peas had a nice velvety mush consistency that contrasted well with the crisp salty bacon. In fact I think that was the highlight of the soup. The soup portion was more of a backdrop, or canvas if you will, for the delightful bits of bacon. Come to think of it life is the canvas that contains, magnifies and provides occasion for the moments when I get to eat bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment